William Carpenter Battey and Louisa B. Chase
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geissingert

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  1:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of getting information together to submit for the Mayflower Society. I have all the individuals in the line back to the Mayflower passenger.

The final missing piece that is needed is a Mayflower Society approved source for the birth and marriage for William Carpenter Battey and Louisa B. Chase.

William Carpenter Battey, son of Amos Battey and Ruth Carpenter, was born on 3 Dec 1824 in Starksboro, Addison, Vermont. He died on 28 Mar 1897 in Sweetland Township, Muscatine, Iowa. He was buried on 31 Mar 1897 in Muscatine, Muscatine, Iowa, Bloomington Cemetery.

Louisa B. Chase, daughter of James Chase and Ruth Green, was born on 27 Feb 1828 in Starksboro, Addison, Vermont. She died on 15 Jan 1880 in Muscatine, Muscatine, Iowa. She was buried in Muscatine, Muscatine, Iowa, Bloomington Cemetery.

William Carpenter Battey and Louisa B. Chase where married on 17 Jul 1845 in Starksboro, Addison, Vermont.

In spring of 1855 William and Louisa relocated to Iowa.

I have run into several obstacles in getting Mayflower Approved source records.

1. Louisa death occurred just before the State of Iowa started keeping death certificates. I have obtained a copy of the newspaper death notice but it is very brief and has very little details.
2. Because Louisa’s death was before William’s I have not been able to find any probate for her.
3. I have searched and had no luck with the following familysearch.org indexes:
a. Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908
b. Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954
c. Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003
4. I have found the information on Find a grave as well. (not approved source)
5. I have a copy of a the following book that has some information (not approved source)
a. Herbert Verner Battey, Sampson Battey of Rhode Island; The Immigrant Ancestor and His Descendents (Ainsworth Printing, Co., Council Bluffs, Iowa 1932).
6. I have also used the following write up (not approved source)
a. Portrait and biographical album of Muscatine County, Iowa : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the state, and of (Chicago: Acme Pub. Co., 1889).
7. I have the census records as well for them from 1850 to 1870.
8. I also have the 1880 Mortality Schedules for Louisa.

Any help in locating a Mayflower Society approved source would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Modjeski

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  2:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Jerry Modjeski an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You did not mention contacting the County Seat office which
Muscatine to see if the county had a death record. While the
State of Iowa did not get records back to Jan. 1880, the county
seat still may have the record.
Also, if you have not tried. see if a Muscatine Historical Society
is in the area. Maybe they can help.
Since Muscatine is on the banks of the Mississippi River bordering
Illinois, could she have died across the State Line or county line
of another Iowa County?
Just trying to help. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

geissingert

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  09:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 1880 Mortality Schedules for her death in Iowa which her husband was the census taker for that year and he is the one how filled out the information.

I checked with the Muscatine Historical Society and that is who was so generous to send the newspaper death notice.

I also just checked again about County Seat and there response was as follows:

In the State of Iowa, death records before July 1880 did not exist.

If someone had property, then their estate could go through Probate per Federal law. The gov't would charge inheritance tax.

But Louisa didn't own any property so there was nothing to go into probate.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by - geissingert on 03/05/2014 09:39:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Starksboro Historical Society Query Board © 2005-2008 Starksboro Historical Society Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000