SHS Query Topics
 Starksboro Places
 Starksboro Store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

webadmin

11 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  9:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit webadmin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An e-mail received 7-11-2007 and transfered to the Message Board:

A couple of years ago, I purchased the attached photograph at a flea market in Pennsylvania, and on the back was handwritten, “Starksboro store.”

I know from the research I’ve been able to accomplish that in the late 19th century there were at least two stores in Starksboro, the CW Atwood store and the Livermore & Hill store. Does this photo show either of these, or is this another store entirely? Also, is it possible to get an idea of about when the photo may have been taken? Finally, if anyone would have an idea as to the identity of the two men or the small boy in the buggy, I would be very excited to learn about them.

I’d be grateful for any information that you might provide. If you don’t have a copy of this photo in you records, you may feel free to keep and use the attached file, or I will be happy to send you a hard copy of the original photo.

webadmin

11 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  9:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit webadmin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking at our web page and the inquiry about the attached photograph.

I have forwarded your e-mail to the Starksboro Historical Society membership with e-mail addresses, but have not had any responses with detail further than that which the photo is captioned in Bertha’s Book (http://www.starksboromeetinghouse.org/village_store/fundraising.asp ). Bertha’s Book is available from the Starksboro Village Meeting House if you would like to buy one.

The photo is captioned in Bertha’s book as the below:

Union Store c. 1860. This is the second store located on this site. An earlier one deeded to Samuel Bushnell in 1805 burned. This one, called the Union Store on the 1871 map, was run for years by Cyrus W. Atwood who began business in 1868. His son and successor, Charles Leslie Atwood, was a watchmaker and jeweler who later moved to Burlington and then to Long Beach, CA. He and the following store keepers, Leslie G. and Frank S. Ferguson, also town clerks, kept the town books here from 1883 until 1911 when the Town Hall was built. The post office was also here until the early 1930’s. The second floor was added c. 1900. The garage section may have been a blacksmith shop.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Starksboro Historical Society Query Board © 2005-2008 Starksboro Historical Society Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000