Starksboro People
 Hill family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sljstp

3 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  11:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! I am looking for information on the Hill family. My great-great grandfather is Julius D. Hill. On the 1900 census record it states he was born in 1851. Family says born in Starksboro. However the town clerk's office cannot find him. He married Sophronia Hill and had 2 children: Mary and Allen. I am trying to locate Julius D. Hill's parents. Family states they are Daniel Heath Hill and Sarah Stevens Knowles. However we can't confirm that. I thought Julius was the son of J.Sylvester Hill and Mary M. Phillips. There is a Julius listed on the 1870 census as their son with maybe 1 year birth difference. Julius' son Allen's middle name is Sylvester and so is my grandfather's. If any one knows information on Julius D. Hill's parents I would like to know. Or if you know where I should look I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your help.
sljstp

RJN77

1 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  9:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Joseph Sylvester Hill in my history of the Hill family from Starksboro,Vt. I don't have any descendants or his wife listed. According to my info, Joseph Sylvester Hill was born on 21 Dec 1824, died 19 Mar 1894 in Starksboro. His parents names are Joseph Hill, b. 07 Oct 1790 Farmington, NH, died 10 Nov 1853, his mother's name is Catherine Hill, b. 15 Apr 1796, Farmington, NH, died 13 Mar 1872 Starksboro. Joseph Sylvester Hill had six sisters and five brothers listed. Alvina, Asa, Mandana, Sylvanus, Martha, Mary, Henry, William, Austin, Catherine, and Lois. They are buried in a cemetery on Hillsboro Road.
I also found Sarah and Daniel Hill's graves on Hillsboro Rd in Starksboro. I have pictures of Daniel's grave. On his gravestone it says FATHER, but no childrens were named.
The best place to look for record would be a church office. The State of Vermont didn't require the recording of births, or death till after 1850. So I have been told by a few town clerks. I hope this has been of some help.
Go to Top of Page

sljstp

3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  3:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou RJN77 for responding. The information you gave is very helpful and will give me some new directions to search. I had some names, but just couldn't put them with who they belonged. The dates and places will help too. Thank you for your help!!!
sljstp
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Alexander

8 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  10:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did some digging and found the following which I hope you will find interesting and beneficial:

In the 1860 Federal Census, there are two Julius Hill's enumerated in Starksboro, VT. The first, (Starksboro, Addison, VT, Page 240, Line 26, Household 1893/276) Julius Hill, age 8 [c1851], born VT, son of J. Sylvester Hill and Mary Hill.
The second (pg 222, Line 20, 1752/130) Julius Hill, age 5 [c1854], born VT, son of Daniel H. Hill, 35, and Mary Ann, 28.

Jumping forward 40 years we see that Julius Hill, son of Daniel H. and Mary Ann Hill, is single and living in Bristol with his widowed mother.

1900 Federal Census (Bristol, Addison, VT, ED 3, Sheet 4, Line 4, Household 79/87) Julius E. Hill is enumerated, born Apr 1855, VT, age 45, single, [living with his mother], Mary A, born Nov 1831, VT, age 68, widow.

He died Oct 14, 1913, Bristol, VT, aged 58 years-5 months-10 days, apoplexy, single, son of Daniel H. and Mary A. (Young) Hill.

Whereas your Julius Hill, son of J. Sylvester Hill is enumerated (South Burlington, Chittenden, VT, ED 84, Sheet 6, Line 1, Household 98/101) born Sept 1851, VT, with wife Sifrona, and children Mary and Allen S. Hill, both children born in California.

Allen's death certificate says he was born April 17, 1889, California, died November 21, 1954, South Burlington, VT. Parents Joseph I. Hill and Sophinne Hill.

By 1910, Julius is deceased, as evidenced by Sophronia being enumerated as a widow (South Burlington, Chittenden, VT, ED 88, Sheet 12, Line 1, Household 167/172) with her son Allen S. Hill and daughter Mary Fogg (wife of H. Jay Fogg).
I did not readily find a death certificate for Julius, but my search was not exhaustive. (I searched the www.ancestry.com Vermont Death Records 1909-2008 database).

On March 25, 1913, Starksboro, VT, Sophronia Hill, of South Burlington married John Mason. She was aged 58 and it was recorded that this was her third marriage. (www.ancestry.com Vermont Marriage Records 1909-2008 database.)

I did find what I believe to be the death certificate of Sophronia Hill, born April 4, 1855, died October 8, 1935, usual residence Sharon, VT. The informant was Mrs. F.D. Fogg. Parents: Hiram Hill and Esther James. (www.ancestry.com Vermont Death Records 1909-2008 database).

From www.genealogybank.com, the newspaper "Argus and Patriot" dated 1891-04-29:
Sylvester Hill recently went to Northfield, to be treated for cancer by Dr. Mayo.

"Argus and Patriot" dated 1894-03-07:
Sylvester Hill is in very poor health, and confined to the house.

"Argus and Patriot" dated 1886-05-09:
Julius Hill, a former resident of town [Starksboro], writes from California that it is the nicest place he ever lived in, and a very healthy climate.

Go to Top of Page

Jeff Alexander

8 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More information regarding your Julius Hill.
www.familysearch.org Vermont Probate Files 1791-1919 online database has the Probate file of Julius D. Hill, of South Burlington.
Abstracted items:
Julius D. Hill died Sept 21, 1906.
Will dated October 9, 1902.
Presented to Probate Court September 24, 1906.
Proved October 13, 1906.
Mentions wife: Sophronia, son: Allen S. Hill (under 21), daughters: Mary I. Hill and Perlie E. Flint, of Burlington.
Daughter is later named Mary I.Fogg in account records.
Son Allen S. Hill eventually receives 92 acre farm left to his mother.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Alexander

8 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  12:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.familysearch.org Vermont Vital Records 1760-1954
Death Index card for:
Hill, D. Julius
Died September 21, 1906, of phthisis pulmonasis, aged 53yrs, 11 mos, 21 days. Born Starksboro, VT.
Father: Sylvester Hill, born Starksboro, VT
Mother: M-M. Hill, born Starksboro, VT
Looks like it referenced Burlington Vol 2 page 482, but it is not clear.

www.ancestry.com Vermont Death Records 1909-2008 database:
Mrs. Perlie Etta Flint, widow of Joseph S. Flint, born October 27, 1873, Lincoln, VT, died June 19, 1935, of asphyxiation caused by carbon monoxide poisoning (illuminating gas), daughter of Julius Hill and Ann Clark.

Looks like Julius may have been married previous to Sophronia.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Alexander

8 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  3:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.familysearch.org Vermont Land Records Early to 1900,
Starksboro Vol 16:528-529

Copy of the will of J. Sylvester Hill, of Starksboro. Will dated 6th of January 1894, proved at Probate Court for the District of New Haven at Bristol, May 7, 1894. Mentions only his wife Mary M. Hill, of which he left all of his estate, both real and personal.
Go to Top of Page

sljstp

3 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  07:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jeff Alexander! Your information was so helpful! It helped me clarify my great-great grandfather Julius D. Hill and whom his parents were. Your information helped me go another generation and some insight into further generations. It was very nice of you to help. My grandfather was tickled pink to see his grandfather's will! The Hill family really enjoyed the information and on behalf of my family we thank you!sljstp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Starksboro Historical Society Query Board © 2005-2008 Starksboro Historical Society Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000